Hurricane Relief Fund Report
We are glad to report that your generous gifts for our Hurricane Relief Fund are being used with great benefit. We have received the amazing sum of over $185,000 to date and have already distributed almost $50,000 to the 10 churches we have targeted. For the past week we have been in touch with most of the 10 churches and have found out more about their specific needs. Our elder-elect, Mitch Axsom, has been our “point man” to travel to meet with pastors and to see the church needs first hand.
1. As a
result, we have narrowed down the most needy churches
who do not have a broader support network from other reformed churches. These
2. We are holding off a bit on gifts for church building repairs to see what insurance will cover. There is much controversy over this right now since the insurance companies will pay for hurricane wind damage but not for flood damage from the hurricane. They are arguing that flood damage requires separate insurance coverage, even from a hurricane. Please pray about this. After we get information on insurance coverage, we will distribute needed funds for church repairs.
3. Many of you have asked about
sending “work teams” to help.
4. Mitch Axsom and three others made
a trip to the
"From the rising of the sun to its setting The name of the LORD is to be praised." [Psa 113:3 NASB]
On Saturday, September 24,
Hurricane Rita, struck
FBC Clinton had recently received a number of
first response boxes. These were filled
with large zip-locked bags packed with essential toiletries which would needed
just after a flood. These items would
have been perfect to distribute just after Katrina struck, but at this time we
were finding more who were asking for work crews. The day after Rita flooded the
We traveled in front of this farmhouse and passed out essential items, food, and a gospel letter to families along this road. Eventually, we found a farm family who had helped in distribution of goods for H. Katrina. This family, Allen & Laura McLain, said that they would pass out the remaining supplies and letters to families trapped beyond the point pictured. We called the McLain home on Wed. Sept 28 to find out that 70% of the items had gone to people who lived in trailers and who had lost all of their possessions. They were very glad to get the supplies and the letter. Mrs. McLain said that the remaining 30% of the supplies were going to be picked up on Thursday.
We thank the Lord for the privilege of getting to help people made in the image of God with food, possessions, and with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
As you can see from this report, there is still much to do. We are trying to be good stewards of your gifts for Hurricane Relief. Please continue to pray for the believers who are giving a good testimony of trusting the Lord in such a trial. They are witnessing and ministering to others as they recover. We pray that many will come into the Kingdom as a result of their witness. Thanks again and God bless.
Love in Christ,